St. George's Anglican Church


ST. GEORGE’S ANGLICAN CHURCH is the largest church in Basseterre. It stands at the head of Church Street and resembles an English parish church in style. The outer walls are of heavy andesite rock and the roof is covered in slate.  Like many of the buildings in Basseterre this church has had its ups and downs, often rising from ashes like the mythical Phoenix.     In 1635, at the request of the directors of the Company of the Isles of America, the Provincial of the Capuchin Friars of Normandy assigned three men, Fathers Jerome, Marc and Pacifique de Provins to care for the spiri..


There are no resources listed.
St. George's Anglican Church (2009)



Rev. John Duport

John H. A. Duport was born in the Parish of St. Thomas, Middle Island in either 1830 or 1831 and may have been the son of enslaved parents.   Nothing is known of his childhood but he must have been a good student and seems to have developed an interest in the Anglic..
Bishop Daniel Davis

Daniel Gateward Davis was the first Bishop of the Diocese of Antigua, established in 1842.  The diocese comprised of Antigua, Barbuda, Montserrat , Dominica , St. Christopher, Nevis and Anguilla in the Leewards, and Tortola and Virgin Gorda in the British Virgin Is..
An Account of the Damage to St. George's Church from the Earthquake of 1974
An earthquake of magnitude 6.5 on the Richter scale occurred at about 5:55 a.m. on October 8 th 1974, and did considerable damage to the St George’s Parish Church.  ..

   
   
Copyright 2010 St.Kitts National Archives. All rights reserved. Web Development & Management: eCaribbean Ltd