The Circus


If one were to look through a collection of photographs this site is one of those which is immediately identifiable as St. Kitts.   Physically it is a circular junction of roads which was created after the ‘Great Fire’ in Basseterre of 1867.  In the new layout Liverpool Row and Fort Street were widened to allow for faster traffic in case of another fire and to make the spreading of flames more difficult.   In the center is the ornate clock called the Berkeley Memorial erected in honour of a legislator and estate owner Thomas Berkeley Hardtman Ber..


Circus north view
The Circus from Bank Street in the 1970s


There are no personalities listed.
The Berkeley Memorial
The Berkeley Memorial in the form of a clock and drinking fountain stands in what is known as the ‘Circus’. Tourists and locals gravitate towards it for different reasons. ..

   
   
Copyright 2010 St.Kitts National Archives. All rights reserved. Web Development & Management: eCaribbean Ltd