War Memorial


THE WAR MEMORIAL  was originally unveiled in 1926 at the place now occupied by the Post Office.  It honoured the men who died in the First World War.  In 1955, following the end of the Second World War, it was moved and replaced by the grander structure and surroundings that can be seen today.  The slim white obelisk displays two bronze plaques listing twenty men who died during World War One and six who were killed during World War Two.  Three tombs lie in front of the obelisk.  Each one is constructed from the stone of one of the three islands which com..


War memorial '75
The War Memorial circa 1975


Dr. Samuel B. Jones

Samuel Benjamin Jones was born of humble parentage on the 25th April 1874 in Antigua. His father died when he was very young and he was raised by his mother and grandfather.  His grandfather, who had been born a slave, ensured that young Samuel obtained both a primary a..
There are no articles listed.

   
   
Copyright 2010 St.Kitts National Archives. All rights reserved. Web Development & Management: eCaribbean Ltd